[ubuntu-us-nm] The wonders of working together

David Einerson deinerson1 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 05:58:05 BST 2009

Hello all,

Glenn is a wonderful person who recently started working here at EPC via
Goodwill. He is very capable and we are learning a lot. I just thought I
would share the progress we made today.

We spent the afternoon putting together one of the servers donated by Pat -
a Dell PowerEdge 6300. It turns out there were four of them donated and we
will build two really sweet Ubuntu servers out of the four. The one we
worked on today has turned into a quad processor Pentium 3, 400 MHz machine
with 2GB of memory. We upgraded the BIOS, too. To give you an idea of how it
might be used, it would quite nicely serve a small organization of 25 or
fewer simultaneous users at just about any task one gave it.
It is in need of some consideration regarding disk drives, which we do not
yet have, but that is a fairly minor and inexpensive consideration for
whomever this machine goes to. What I suggest - I am open to corrections,
suggestions, etc - to give it some functional disk drive space is purchasing
a SATA PCI card (roughly $30) and and pair of 300GB+ SATA hard drives, which
Glenn and I would be happy to install and prep with an updated Ubuntu OS.

So, if you or anyone you know would like to invest about $200 total (or more
for larger drives) to get a very nice server, please let Glenn and I know.
Your server awaits.

--
Dave Einerson
IT Director