[ubuntu-us-nm] IRC Meetings

Kiernan Holland rofthorax at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 03:23:52 BST 2009

I added the Day to the page, I hope you don't mind..
Saturday, September 19th..

What time?

BTW is there someone in the group who is professionally involved in
providing third party support for
Ubuntu, I though that would be a way to get their foot in the door, provide
business cards and get them
to talk to people interested in Ubuntu but who would like to have someone to
call on. I'm not in the
position to offer such services, but I thought it would be good to have
those people there.

I'll bring my acer aspire, but I wont' make any noise, I guess I could bring
some headphones and a
small three octave keyboard. It should fit in a book bag, and I can set it
aside.  I could also show off
blender or gimp on that. Ubuntu Studio is just a little bit extra atop
Ubuntu, so I could put on a card
a tinyurl link to the video I have demonstrating Ubuntu Studio. I would only
require two power slots, a
2 Inch power supply and a plug for the Acer.. A point about the Acer is it
has 30watt PS, and the highend
ones come with 6 hours batteries, I just have a 3 hour one. I got the 80GB
one, and have it to dual boot
XP and Ubuntu Studio. I have a external CD drive as the acer doesn't have
one, but the CD drive I have is
too bulky. If this is out of the question, I can make a video of this setup
demonstrating it, which would
probably be more manageable. I probably should anyway, as I may forget about
the event. I have a lot
of space on my "www.chann3lz.com" website, I can put the video there once it
is done.

Another idea, if someone has a big screen LCD monitor or something, it could
be stood behind the booth
showing video.. You can rent things like this.. It may be too bright in
there. If you have something like a
parasol or some kind of cover to put over the booth it will shadow the
screen and make it easier to see
what is on the monitor. Bright lights in malls can make it hard to see
monitors.. You might try a test of a booth
and see what could be done (to avoid anything unwieldy), any ideas?

Also, do you have a banner for the booth, it helps to have something with
big letters identifying the
distro. Maybe a icon on the side.. It might be okay to put a web address on
the banner, that would
permit if someone has a camera to take pictures and get the information
down. I'd put contact
information down on the CD case or insert, maybe a card inserted inside the
sleeve. If you
lack DVD cases, I have about a hundred or so.. I got mine from the local
library, they were
practically throwing them away.

Also where are people going to sit, or are people coming to the booth
expected to stand.
Bean bag chairs? Fold out? Shaded Lawn Chairs with the can holder?

It might be good to have some eye catchers, like trinkets, mood lights, a
plasma
bulb, or something to draw attention to the booth. It's okay if there isn't
such a thing..
Even some modeling clay that someone's children can play around with, while
dad talks.. I figure if you can get Art Rage 2.5 running on a machine, I can
get a wacom
tablet to demonstrate drawing, that would be entertaining to children,
especially since
GIMP and Ubuntu 9.04 support pressure sensitive wacom tablets out of box
(note, the pen is
pressure sensitive, the tablet has a radio transmitter in it, the pad isn't
actually pressure
sensitive).

It doesn't have to be a big booth, but it can at least be comfortable, laid
back.

Anyhow.. Those are some ideas..