[ubuntu-us-nm] IRC Meetings

David Thomas dthomasdigital at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 14:40:17 BST 2009

Just to clarify a few things. The Ubuntu New Mexico LoCo has been involved
with Software Freedom Day for the past 3 years. A look on our own wiki
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Software_Freedom_Day%3A_September_15%2C_2007
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Software_Freedom_Day%3A_September_20%2C_2008 and the
our Software Freedom Day wiki
http://softwarefreedomday.org/teams/northamerica/NM/Albuquerque/NewMexicoUbuntuLoco
show that The New Mexico Ubuntu LoCo has had a little bit of experience
putting these events together.

However. this year will be new as it's a very high traffic area and while
this has both advantages and disadvantages we should be able to take
advantage of the situation as long as we remember most people will have no
idea what we are doing or even care.

I guess what I'm trying to say is we don't have to put to much of a show
together to get people interested in picking up something for free, people
that want more information will ask, those that want to be showed something
will also ask. Do to location we can't do to much in the way of detailed
demonstrations and that's a good thing do to the nature of how malls
operate. People will be passing by and the last thing we want to show them
is a bunch of pushy loud over the top demos. A few PC running "Big buck
Bunny" and  some people playing open source games is all you need to get the
conversation going. Don't forget at all times we must be under the
guidelines of the  Ubuntu code of Conduct (if you have not read or signed
the Ubuntu code of Conduct I suggest you do before attending any Ubuntu New
Mexico LoCo event it's a fantastic guideline and one the New Mexico LoCo
follows http://www.ubuntu.com/community/conduct ).

Also we will have all kind of things to hand out to people, this year I fear
that we are not going to be getting the package from the SFD organizers even
though I know I made the registration in time (something I'm currently
corresponding with the SFD organization about). That's no big deal as we
have tons of disc and other things in our coffers. We will also have
displays, brochures and signs, as well as information about other Free/Open
Source events in New Mexico.

So as you can see we have things pretty much under control, of course as I
write this I still don't have all the paper work done for Cottonwood Mall,
like I said in the IRC meeting we are much more organized than they are. But
fear not I'm staying on them pretty hard.

This email is just so everyone is kept in the loop and your suggestions,
ideas, and volunteerism is not only welcome but needed.

Please let me know if you need any more information.

David