[Ubuntu-US-NM] GIS and Ubuntu question

DThomas at metrocourt.state.nm.us DThomas at metrocourt.state.nm.us
Mon Nov 19 15:22:08 GMT 2007

I just love this exchange of ideas, this mailing list, as well as the LoCo
is really taking off.....thanks to all that participate.

andrew at source3.com
Sent by: ubuntu-us-nm-bounces at lists.ubuntu.com
11/19/2007 08:00 AM
Please respond to
Ubuntu US-New Mexico Team <ubuntu-us-nm at lists.ubuntu.com>

"Ubuntu US-New Mexico Team" <ubuntu-us-nm at lists.ubuntu.com>
cc

Subject
Re: [Ubuntu-US-NM] GIS and Ubuntu question

Enrique,

opensourcegis.org can be overwhelming.  Therefore, I suggest looking at
Grass GIS (http://grass.itc.it/).  Quantum GIS (http://qgis.org/) was also
mentioned in another post.  Quantum GIS is a great viewer,  but does not
has the editing powers of Grass.  Both of these programs are available in
the Ubuntu Repositories.  In addition, Grass has a tutorial.  I am slowly
working throught the tutorial while between semesters.  I am working
toward my Masters in GIS at Penn State.

An additonal option is open source mapservers.  I put one together here:
http://mapserver.rthicksconsult.com.  Click on the mapping portal button
to access the map,  Be patient, the mapserver is hosted from R.T. Hicks
Consultants.  The connection is slow and is not a production site.  This
week, I will be redoing the site getting it ready for beta testing by
clients.  The mapserver uses Chameleon, with Mapserver  (
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/) at the core.  Mapserver is also in the
repositories.  The mapserver is being served from Windows Server 2003,
with that being said, I used the MS4W package (
http://www.maptools.org/ms4w/).  There are a few books on Mapserver.  I
prefer the on by Apress over O'Reilly.

Andrew.