[Ubuntu-US-NM] GIS and Ubuntu question

andrew at source3.com andrew at source3.com
Mon Nov 19 15:00:52 GMT 2007

Enrique,

opensourcegis.org can be overwhelming. Therefore, I suggest looking at Grass GIS (http://grass.itc.it/). Quantum GIS (http://qgis.org/) was also mentioned in another post. Quantum GIS is a great viewer, but does not has the editing powers of Grass. Both of these programs are available in the Ubuntu Repositories. In addition, Grass has a tutorial. I am slowly working throught the tutorial while between semesters. I am working toward my Masters in GIS at Penn State.

An additonal option is open source mapservers. I put one together here: http://mapserver.rthicksconsult.com. Click on the mapping portal button to access the map, Be patient, the mapserver is hosted from R.T. Hicks Consultants. The connection is slow and is not a production site. This week, I will be redoing the site getting it ready for beta testing by clients. The mapserver uses Chameleon, with Mapserver (http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/) at the core. Mapserver is also in the repositories. The mapserver is being served from Windows Server 2003, with that being said, I used the MS4W package (http://www.maptools.org/ms4w/). There are a few books on Mapserver. I prefer the on by Apress over O'Reilly.

Andrew.