[ubuntu-us-nc] hey from Carolina Beach

Mark Kempster mark at kempster.org
Wed Apr 16 02:44:09 BST 2008

I'm new to the irc meetup thing, so apologies if this is way out in the
weeds.

I'm interested in virtualization. I really ran into trouble with running
vmware-server and getting knocked around a bit when ubuntu had kernel
updates. It sure was a rude awakening to have my vmware collection of
servers all go belly up after what had previously (in a pre-vmware-server)
been a pretty innocent change. Yeah, kernel upgrades can be scary, but it
was a pretty rocky couple months with ubuntu and vmware there for awhile. I
hope kvm is better.

With the shipping of kvm in Hardy, I'm really interested in using ubuntu as
the host o/s, ubuntu JeOS as the guests with kvm as the virtualization
stack. Problem is, I really don't know jack about kvm.

Along those lines, I'm interested in storing these multiple kvm guests on a
raid 1 or something. I attempted something similar in Gutsy and kinda blew
it. A lesson in sata-raid1-setup would do me wonders.

So, with the maturing of Ubuntu in general (just installed the beta today)
and specifically the inclusion of kvm, I'm interested if others have
experience running ubuntu as both host and guest. If folks would be willing
to share some of their practical knowledge, or if other folks who are
interested but (like me) have only a little bit of experience have questions
and are interested in a group foray into the experiment, I'd be interested
in joining in.

Thanks!
- Mark