[ubuntu-us-mn] Ubuntu Ver 9.04 / Installfest / 2 ver & 1 /home

Fred H Olson fholson at cohousing.org
Thu Apr 23 14:21:17 BST 2009

On Thu, 16 Apr 2009, Brian Dolan-Goecke wrote:

> This months PenguinsUnbound.com meeting will be
> Saturday April 25th at TIES,
> 1667 Snelling Ave. N., St. Paul, MN 55108
> from 9:00 am to 7:00pm
> (See the web site http://www.penguinsunbound.com for directions and more
> info.)
>
>    _UBUNTU_Release_Party_!

Thanks Brian and Tony and all who have worked on organizing the
installfest.  I'm not sure if / when I'll make it.  The 9am-7pm
hours are realistic based of previous fests but are very
impressive when written out!

A couple points:

Will Ubuntu 9.04 be a "Long Term Support" (LTS) version?
I briefly browsed the features at http://www.ubuntulinux.org/
and did not see this mentioned.  LTS has not been an issue for me
so far even tho I have tended to only install a new version
infrequently.

How are people feeling about upgrading vs new installs these
days?  In general, I am under the impression that there are tradeoffs.

I installed Ver 8.10 at the installfest last year.  I have worked out a
way to have both version 6.06 and 8.10 istalled and functioning while
having them share a large /home partition.  It was not as simple as I
expected.  Essentially 8.10 has a small /home directory that has sym
links to the top level directories in the shared home partition.
This results in most shared files having the same path in both versions.
Both "real" home directories have separate program configuration
hidden directories.

I found it useful to go back to the previous version for familar features
/ installed programs / customizations and still go back occasionally.
For example, I had worked out a way to use an old MSdos genealogy
program under 6.06 that I have not worked out on 8.10.

If anyone is interested in the details of how I have two versions using
one shared home directory, send me a note.

Fred

Communications for Justice -- Free, superior listserv's w/o ads:
http://justcomm.org      My Link Pg: http://fholson.cohousing.org
612-588-9532 (7am-10pm CST/CDT)   Email: fholson at cohousing.org