[ubuntu-us-mn] How to get WINE to update in Ubuntu Hardy (8.04)

Chuck Cole cncole at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 28 00:03:04 BST 2008

Help!  I can't update WINE from 0.9.59 (where Notepad has "enter" bug) to a 1.x to see what's better.  When I remove 0.9.59, it just
comes back when I try to reinstall, and I cannot see the 1.x versions shown on the WINE site via add/remove or in update.   Is there
a more suitable place to ask?

How/where do I do these steps below?  Can't identify a "list of trusted APT keys" in etc/apt or find an elsewhere for that.
Is the second to-be-inserted line to be added to    etc/apt/sources.list.d    ?

( from  http://www.winehq.org/site/download-deb  )

Adding the WineHQ APT Repository:
First, open a terminal window (Applications->Accessories->Terminal). On Debian, you will need to open a root terminal. Then add the
repository's key to your system's list of trusted APT keys by copy and pasting the following:

      wget -q http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt/387EE263.gpg -O- | sudo apt-key add -

Next, add the repository to your system's list of APT sources:

For Ubuntu Hardy (8.04):

       sudo wget http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt/sources.list.d/hardy.list -O /etc/apt/sources.list.d/winehq.list

Chuck