[ubuntu-us-mn] Upcoming campaigns

Fred H Olson fholson at cohousing.org
Thu Apr 17 13:52:02 BST 2008

Hi,

I suspect this is the first message I have posted here.  I've been
attending Penguins Linux meetings (PGLNX) , was at the last PGLNX
installfest.  I'm still using Ubuntu ver 606 and plan to install 408.

On Wed, 16 Apr 2008, p.daniels wrote:

> I have discussed this with the (now previous) owner of General Nano, who
> know runs PCI Matrix further up University (nice guy, btw). They won't
> distribute or support Linux in any flavor.

It's unclear to me if "they" refers to PCI Matrix, Gen. Nano or both...
I distinctly remberer Gen. Nano having a small display box with Ubuntu
disks version 5.10 and getting a set of disks from tem.  (That was back
when the live cd and install cd were seperate.)

> I actually gave him my
> business card to refer anyone who comes in asking about it. I haven't
> gotten any calls on it yet, but he seemed pretty happy to get my card.
> They just don't want to deal with the training issues, which I can
> understand, and the general feeling seems to be "if we start supporting
> one *nix, we'll end up having to deal with every flavor under the sun,"
> which is also a legitimate concern.

I think there may be a basis for persuading them to display something tho
maybe not disks. Maybe info on where the Freedom Toaster is located :)
( when it exists ... ) ,
or the multi distribution DVD out now. Or simply an introducory
paragraph about Linux / Opens source ** and the URL for more info which
would have links to Ubuntu among other things.

** I think the path of introducing people to OS software that runs under
Windows / Mac OS should promoted ; it can be a path toward using an OS
operating system and is desireable by itself, IMHO.

Fred

BTW I'm pleased to see some activity on this list tho I have been to busy
to read the last week's messages till today.  I'd like to discuss the
purpose of this list and how to promote more use.  I wonder if it could
function as a communication venue for PGLNX group. PGLNX is not Ubuntu
specific, tho I suspect Ubuntu may be the dominate distribution used by
the folks that have participated.

Communications for Justice -- Free, superior listserv's w/o ads:
http://justcomm.org      My Link Pg: http://fholson.cohousing.org
612-588-9532 (7am-10pm CST/CDT)   Email: fholson at cohousing.org