[ubuntu-us-mi] hostname lookup bug?

Robert Citek robert.citek at gmail.com
Mon Nov 15 17:49:01 GMT 2010

On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 2:47 PM, David F <ubuntu-us-mi at meta-dynamic.com> wrote:
> Is "foo" a hostname or IP address?

Foo is an IP address.

> Are you sure that your query is going where you think it is going?

Prior to this experience, I would have said, yes.  But now I'm not so sure.

> Are you sure that you successfully removed bar from DNS on foo?

I'm pretty sure.  The entry is not in the zone file and a dig on the
DNS machine itself does not return an answer for Bar but does for
other names.  I get the same result using a RHEL machine and even the
Ubuntu machine.  It just takes several minutes (or a reboot) on the
Ubuntu machine.

> Could you run "tshark -i <interface> udp and port 53"
> (where <interface> is the name of the network interface through which
> packets to foo are routed, e.g. eth0), then run the dig command, and post
> the output?  Obscure any sensitive information if you want, but be careful,
> "pseudo-commands" sometimes hide a lot.

Will do.

Regards,
- Robert