[ubuntu-us-mi] grub terminal serial console

Robert Citek robert.citek at gmail.com
Sun Dec 12 22:41:33 GMT 2010

How can I tell if this bug has been fixed in Ubuntu 10.04?

This bug prevents specifying both serial and console for grub
input/output, something that would be important in remote server
environments and a feature that was included with grub legacy:

http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?27336#comment0

The bug report in savannah suggests that it has been fixed.  However,
specifying both serial and console does not seem to work for me.  For
example, this line was lifted almost verbatim from the manual[1]:

$ grep -A 2 GRUB_TERMINAL= /etc/default/grub
GRUB_TERMINAL="console serial"
GRUB_SERIAL_COMMAND="serial --speed=115200 --unit=0 --word=8
--parity=no --stop=1"

Yet, I get this error:

$ sudo update-grub
Invalid output terminal "serial console"

I don't see any mention of the bug in launchpad:

http://bit.ly/gu6ufJ

[1] http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html#Simple-configuration

Regards,
- Robert