[ubuntu-us-mi] signing a PDF

Wolfger wolfger at gmail.com
Thu Apr 22 15:00:02 BST 2010

On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 9:46 AM, Robert Citek <robert.citek at gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't know the term I'm looking for.  What term would you apply to
> the collection of software that includes OpenOffice.org, Firefox,
> gimp, gedit, VirtualBoxOSE, $(apt-cache search . | cut -d' ' -f1 )?
> They are in the Ubuntu repositories.  They run on Ubuntu without
> needing Wine.  They are OpenSource.  Pick a term that encapsulates
> those qualities and probably several others that I haven't mentioned,
> and that's the term I'm looking for.  Until someone thinks long and
> hard to come up with the perfect term, let's defer the ontological
> philosophizing and call that elusive term "Linux native."  Whadayasay,
> eh?  :)

Nope. :-)
Why is "without needing X libraries" a requirement? Why are Y
libraries ok? Or Z libraries? That's making no sense. These are all
Linux native libraries.

Are you looking specifically for FOSS? Or are you looking for
something you can apt-get? I can't tell what your criteria truly is.
I'm afraid that if your criteria is "something that wasn't
specifically designed to run on Windows", you'll have to give up the
Firefox.... :-)  If your criteria is to be completely free of anything
remotely Windows-ish you'll need to drop the OO.o that supports
Microsoft document formats. :-)

--
Wolfger
http://wolfger.wordpress.com/

The world is a mess, and I just... need to rule it.