[ubuntu-us-mi] signing a PDF

Robert Citek robert.citek at gmail.com
Thu Apr 22 14:46:48 BST 2010

On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 9:18 AM, Wolfger <wolfger at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 9:13 AM, Jay R. Wren <jrwren at xmtp.net> wrote:
>> On 4/22/2010 8:54 AM, Wolfger wrote:
>>> Define "Linux native". Are the WINE libraries somehow less "native"
>>> than the gtk+ libraries or Qt libraries or...?
>>
>> Good point, WINE is not an emulator :)  Its just another API library
>> that happens to be very ugly and match Win32 apis.
>
> No need to repeat yourself... :-D
> Now a more valid question would be "are there any [Gnome|KDE] native
> alternatives?" Then we know which libraries you are seeking to use...
> :-)

I don't know the term I'm looking for.  What term would you apply to
the collection of software that includes OpenOffice.org, Firefox,
gimp, gedit, VirtualBoxOSE, $(apt-cache search . | cut -d' ' -f1 )?
They are in the Ubuntu repositories.  They run on Ubuntu without
needing Wine.  They are OpenSource.  Pick a term that encapsulates
those qualities and probably several others that I haven't mentioned,
and that's the term I'm looking for.  Until someone thinks long and
hard to come up with the perfect term, let's defer the ontological
philosophizing and call that elusive term "Linux native."  Whadayasay,
eh?  :)

Regards,
- Robert