[ubuntu-us-mi] boot from Lucid USB partition on internal harddrive

Wolfger wolfger at gmail.com
Thu Apr 8 23:10:17 BST 2010

Off the top of my head, I think the problem here is that grub can't
find a kernel. The LiveUSB is meant to e called straight from bios,
but you've got bios going to grub and grub trying to boot a linux
install rather than a LiveUSB.

On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 5:30 PM, Robert Citek <robert.citek at gmail.com> wrote:
> How can I put the USB partition for Lucid onto a hard drive and boot from it?
>
> I created a USB Startup Disk for Lucid and am able to boot my laptop
> from it, but I'm experiencing some issues.  For example, it's very
> slow.  As a quick workaround I shrank my linux partition on my
> internal drive (/dev/sda) and copied the USB partition (/dev/sdc1) to
> it.  So now my internal drive has sda1-3 (stuff), sda4 (extended
> partition), sda5 (Ubuntu 8.04) and sda6 (USB Lucid).  Mounting sda6
> shows that all the files appear to be there.  I've modified my grub
> menu.lst on sda5 to contain this:
>
> title           Lucid 10.04 USB
> savedefault
> root            (hd0,5)
> chainloader     +1
>
> When I boot, grub displays both the Ubuntu 8.04 and Lucid options, and
> I can still boot Ubuntu 8.04.  However, when I select the Lucid line,
> I get this error message:
>
> Starting up ...
> Boot error
>
> What do I need to change in order for Lucid to boot?  Do I need to
> reinstall the boot loader (syslinux or isolinux)?  Do I need to modify
> a config file?  Something else?  Is booting this way even possible?
>
> I've done something similar with Knoppix in the past, but used
> cheatcodes and such to get it to work.
>
> Regards,
> - Robert

Wolfger
http://wolfger.wordpress.com/

The world is a mess, and I just... need to rule it.