[ubuntu-us-mi] Penguicon Packaging Jam?

Rick Harding rharding at mitechie.com
Wed Nov 21 00:55:40 GMT 2007

Wolfger wrote:
> LoCo team:
> I've got the necessary Penguicon and GLLUG folks on the line here
> (reply to all, please). What would be our
> time/space/power/connectivity requirement for running the packaging
> jam? I wasn't at the previous one, so I'm not sure how long it would
> take for the basic instruction.
>
> On Nov 19, 2007 1:06 PM, Matt Arnold <matt.mattarn at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm CC'ing this to the GLLUG guys who are running the computer Lounge.
>>
>> -Matt

This is all depending on numbers so take it all with a grain of salt.
Basically when I ran this with 7 people we had wired/wireless internet.
I didn't want to flood my one access point or deal with getting people's
wireless working. Everyone needs to be able to get on the same subnet
though so share a gobby editing session.

The net connection needs to be able to handle everyone pulling packages
and such, but it's not a ton of total MB worth of stuff.

So then there's power for everyone with their laptops. Basically when I
did it I shot down the laptop-less.

We went on for nearly 8 hours with a lunch break and such. The trouble
is that it takes a while for everyone to get their GPG keys going so
maybe the best thing to do is split it into two events. One a giant
keysigning party and then the packaging part where you put those keys to
use.

Jorge has been talking of trying to make it a joint event with the Ohio
Loco so it sounds like there's potential for this to be a much larger
event than my 7 person thing. I'm all for limiting/setting up some kind
of sign up though to keep it to those truly interested and to prevent
slowing things down too much with too many people.

my .02
Rick Harding