Linux Against Poverty: Any interest in doing something like this around here?

Nate omegamormegil at gmail.com
Sat Aug 1 17:07:53 BST 2009

It seems that the first thing we need to get figured out is who is going to
get these computers.  It sounds like we already have a bunch of people
interested in donating, and lots of people willing to work on getting them
ready.

So, I just spoke with my gf.  She would like 2 PC's in her classroom, and
> depending on her conversation with her boss there may be a 5-7 PC lab for
> the high school.  We are definitely on for 2 PC's however.

So far this seems to be the first taker.  Would it be better to go ahead and
get the computers ready for this place, or should we wait to get a few
interested parties and have a big install fest?

In addition to finding people that need the computers, it would probably be
a good idea to figure out what the expectations for the computers are.  For
example, if they are to be used exclusively for web browsing, any working
systems should work. Other people might need something able to run
OpenOffice.org, Gimp, etc.  Thoughts?

I'm going to put a spot on the wiki page where we can keep track of places
that are interested in getting computers.  If anyone has any other contacts
that might be able to help find more schools or children's organizations
that would be interested, post something to the mailing list.

Let me know what you think!

Nate (Omegamormegil)