[ubuntu-us-ma] Touching Base With Community

Martin Owens doctormo at gmail.com
Fri Nov 11 00:24:53 UTC 2011

Hey Adam,

Good reply, don't mind ranting at me, I'm very interested in passionate
views :-)

On Thu, 2011-11-10 at 15:41 -0500, Adam Hathaway wrote:
> I do feel that the website is a duplication of
> the portal/wiki and I also feel that perhaps it is not needed but I
> would like to keep the wiki.

There is a tendency for new leaders/members of locos to support the wiki
idea because it's accessible to be molded around the ideas and
structures of the mind of the new member. But the wiki is tiring and
lacks structure, it's high maintenance and the structures that one team
creates and spends time on are not addopted by and improved upon by
other teams.

What the loco directory is really is a centralisation of the functional
administration of teams. This is really important for driving down the
costs of operating a team and serves as a central place for new
structures and ideas to become available and be used by all teams.

Last week I worked on a patch for the loco directory to add a banner to
the team page. Basically allowing teams to brand their loco directory.
This was met with positive reactions from other loco people who are
interested in the idea and would love to have the same functions you're
after.

> the "heavy lifting".

Not just heavy, but also sisyphean.

Martin,