[ubuntu-us-ma] Touching Base With Community

Adam Hathaway ahathaway21 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 20:41:31 UTC 2011

Thanks for the reply Martin.  I was waiting to see if we heard back from
Mike about the DNS records before I responded but figured I would get this
conversation going again.  I do feel that the website is a duplication of
the portal/wiki and I also feel that perhaps it is not needed but I would
like to keep the wiki.  I was looking around the portal and I feel that it
is too canned and does not offer up much personalization.  If we could
instead point the website to redirect to the wiki, I feel that there we can
give a more personal presentation and point to the portal from there for
the "heavy lifting".

I recognize that there may not be too much response to the call to action
and it is a task that I am undertaking to build the team and spread the
word.  I wanted to get input from the members we have/had before I ask the
members that come because I feel that our best source of input is from
members that we have already influenced whether that be positive or
negative.  I am unsure about how many members we have here on the mailing
list so I do not know how far that information reaches.

While I understand that many have been driven away from Canonical/Ubuntu
because of some decisions made I do have a vision of a team that is more
built around Ubuntu's ideals and maybe a little less on their technology.
 This does not mean I am not going to promote Ubuntu and I continue to use
it, but I think the value add is more around building an enthusiastic
community, with a solid support structure,  that contributes in a way that
is fun to the people within the community.

Thanks for listening to my rant.

Adam Hathaway