[ubuntu-us-ma] New England needs Support

Martin Owens doctormo at gmail.com
Mon May 23 03:24:19 UTC 2011

Hey guys,

I seek advice from the greater 'Local Community' Community about what to
do with the Massachusetts Team and in effect what to do with it as it's
the only team in New England that has ever been active enough to really
run some big events.

The team used to be lead by a bunch of different people who came to the
team back when Ubuntu was new and exciting. Me, Mike, Steve and Danny.
The rag-tag bunch ran the team fairly well. Steve has his MIT
commitments, Mike is annoyed with Ubuntu Design direction, Danny is
pissed off about the lack of Free Software advocacy and I'm way over
committed as a foss programmer and contractor.

So what to do? If I call time on the team then New England (and area of
about 14 million people) will have no LoCo at all. Not that the team
does more than an event a year at the moment, but at least it's
something and shows that things are happening.

We could do with help to resuscitate the team, either from the loco
council or from some friendly people in the rest of the community. I
don't really know what to do any more and I don't want to pretend I
don't care any more, Ubuntu is the only software community actually
attempting to make the FreeDesktop thing fly in the real world and the
Local Communities have been instrumental in pushing the system out into
the real world.

So despite the headwinds, we need a push.

Yours, Martin Owens