[ubuntu-us-ma] Ubuntu'ers - What do you like to do?

Steve Bridges steve at voodooradio.org
Thu Jun 30 01:02:04 UTC 2011

Yes, Rio, we are a bunch of lurkers. I personally feel ashamed for not
having chimed in as much, but I am one of those keep quiet unless
absolutely necessary kind of subscribers. Also time constraints have
forced me from reading mail from the list on a more consistent basis.

A quick intro. I currently am living in the Greater Springfield Area
where there is not that many people that I have found locally that are
using Linux. Heck a majority of the people I talked to didn't know what
a podcast was 4 years ago when I was looking for equipment to produce
one. If anyone is in this area, let me know, dammit. Most of the
computer folk out here are on Mac OS or Windows. ;)

I have been using Ubuntu since Hoary Hedgehog but really went full blown
when Karmic was released. I went from dual booting 9.10 and Windows XP
Pro then took the plunge and have not turned back. I am currently under
Maverick, not because of the reason that Unity is failing on some levels
for users, but because there is a major bug with the Intel driver for
the latest releases that disallows me to use my SVideo port to watch
movies from my laptop to a TV, and some other glitches I noticed. I
already submitted my bug report and now it's the old waiting game for it
to be fixed. But that is beside the point.

This topic peeked my interest so here we go:

    * Listen to Podcasts (downloaded via gPodder)
    * Listen to Music (via Rhythmbox or Banshee depending on my mood)
    * Watch videos (both on the laptop screen and through SVideo out to
      my TV)
    * Produce a podcast (using Audacity) I haven't done one in a few
      months, but will be relaunching soon (http://www.voodooradio.org)
    * Upload my podcast through Filezilla
    * Create web graphics (GIMP and Inkscape)
    * Play Games (Humble Indie Bundle's games, Minecraft, Planeshift
      (from time to time), and more)
    * Let my 3 year old daughter play (gCompris, TuxPaint, Potato Guy)
    * Typical internet use (chat (XChat and Empathy), browse (Chromium),
      email (Thunderbird), etc.)
    * Create DVD's (dvdstyler)
    * Create Videos (kdenlive because I had so much issues with OpenShot
      and PiTiVi in the past) See my youtube channel
      (http://www.youtube.com/voodoostevie) for examples. The first 3 I
      made back on 2006 were under Windows Movie Maker, but all after
      that are using kdenlive.

What I want to do:

    * Home banking (HomeBank looks decent, but I haven't delved into it)
    * Learn to use Blender for creating video sequences and more.
    * Become more involved with LoCo or LUG's but I am relocating in the
      fall so will have to align myself with folks in the new area.
    * Set up a home network for media, file, and print services. Maybe
    * Relaunch my podcast (I know I mentioned that before, so sue me)
    * Learn to use Gimp and Inkscape better. Still stuck in the
      Photoshop way of doing things so I get frustrated a lot and it
      shows with some of my work.
    * Teach my daughter how to use Linux more (so far she is doing damn
      good. She hate's the mouse, but works the trackpad better than her
      Mom. She also launches apps she knows are for her by herself.)
    * Get my laptop's SVideo to work with Natty! (BIG ISSUE for me)
    * Learn HTML5 and increase knowledge with MySQL, PHP, Javascript,
      and CSS
    * Try out Kubuntu to learn to work under KDE more. (Gnome 3 isn't
      there quite yet and Unity seems a little quirky to me at this time).
    * Post more on my geek related blog (http://www.gogogeekboy.com)

I do quite a bit of things. And there is a lot more I would like to do.
Anyone has comments about my stuff, feel free to let me know. I'm always
up for talks and can be found on AIM, identi.ca, and twitter as
voodoostevie.

Cheers!