[ubuntu-us-ma] Star trek & the MA LoCo Community

Doc Kinne kinnerc at gmail.com
Thu May 7 14:52:46 BST 2009

Folks:

On 07 May , 2009, at 07:38, Martin Owens wrote:
> I'd also like to invite you and everyone else listening in to post
> messages to the mailing list to set the desired tone. so far the list
> hasn't been a tech talk about new Ubuntu releases, it's been about how
> best to organise a local advocacy group (which isn't a surprise since
> that's what the ubuntu-us-ma group is for).
>
>  This isn't really a news list, but I'd
> appreciate the frank input from everyone concerned.

Piping in here as a newbie, I think the current amount of posts
regarding Star Trek is an outlier. After its organized posts like that
should die down.

However, given moderation, I don't think posts like our current Star
Trek thread are bad. I  was a Debian person for years, from the mid-
late 90s. Giving up Debian was a big thing for me. What made me do it?
Frankly that can be summed up in one word: community. Oh yes, other
distros have their communities, I know, but I think its safe to say
that no one does community like *buntu. In fact there are times when
I'm not sure *buntu is a Linux distribution or a cult. Perhaps its
both!  :-)

Anyway, communities can't thrive on one thing alone. While they have,
and should have, a particular focus, I think they do need some
diversity now and then. Thus going to Star Trek may not be Linux or
*buntu, per se, but I think that events like this, every once in a
while, is healthy and needed for a community such as the LoCo.

And you can always bring *buntu in. Everyone wear their buttons!  And
I dare someone, when they show a computer screen in Star Trek next
week to call out, "Geeze! We have better user interfaces in Ubuntu
than what they're showing right now!"  :-)
---
Richard "Doc" Kinne • Rikardo «Dokĉjo» KINNE, BA, MSc., AMAAS
<kinnerc @ gmail.com>
"I'm the Doctor, and you're in the biggest library in the universe.
Look me up!"
- The Doctor
"Forests of the Dead," Doctor Who