[ubuntu-us-ma] Screen Resolution Woah's

Ralph deGennaro rmdegennaro at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 22:47:20 GMT 2009

Hi all,

I haven't fallen off the face of the earth...  still gripping with my
finger tips.  And now trying to claw my way back from 3 weeks of
conversion h311.

So, I ran into a problem again upgrading to VMWare Fusion 2.0.2.  Then
I remembered an email a bit back from someone about resolution
problems.  In particular with KDE and it not setting it when you log
in. The resolution problem is also seen in GNOME with the alignments
of panel icons.  It seems that the alignment of panels/widgets is set
when GDM/KDM starts, not when logging in.

Anyways, I've found a work around, though in my opinion not a
permanent fix.  The Ubuntu help wiki has something that looks to be
posted near end of January.  Basically one should set the resolution
before Xserver even starts (though not at the console level).  Go here
for details:  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config/Resolution.

Oh, the article implies that "xrandr --output VGA-0 --mode 1280x960"
might work.  Even after messing with the output parameter, I couldn't
get it to work.  What worked for me is:  "xrandr -x 1280x960".  Though
one could replace the resolution with what is needed and appropriate
for the video card / monitor.  Thankfully, it works on my one funky
desktop and my virtual machines.

If this doesn't work, or there are better solutions, please let me know.

Best,
Rio

p.s.  The little spots that show up on my old AMD2200 with onboard
Intel video is still there.  :-(