[ubuntu-us-ma] New Event: Installfest / Exploration Ubuntu (Planning)

Ralph deGennaro rmdegennaro at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 04:57:55 BST 2009

Hey Cam & all,

Okay, between big sql jobs running and catching up on Ubuntu email....  Man
there's alot...  I'm sad I missed the Star Trek "team-building"  Cool
movie...  I'm also sad I cann't help out preparing or make it to the event.
But here's some quick thoughts I had that in general I hope helps.  Mostly
stuff I've accumulated from the list and/or on my own.

Places to market besides newspapers/radios/local mags:

   - some towns/communities have computer related mailing lists.  e.g.  I
   had gotten some business by word of mouth on the Arlington list a few years
   back.  I don't know how many nor their policies, but a thought,
   - if anyone wants to run around, many local libraries (typically) have
   board(s) to post 8x11 or smaller flyers.  my girlfriend posts ESL adverts,
   and Sara mentioned it.  again, I'm not 100% on policies, and it may vary
   form community to community.  might be easy to call around.
   - small "mom & pop" computer shops might allow us to leave some flyers at
   their store.  I like the idea, but it might take some convincing (or better
   said: discussing).  I like it because its a good opportunity to talk about
   what they do in detail and learn how to advocate Ubuntu to them and their
   customers (how to incorporate them into the community and how Ubuntu can
   help them/ theirservices).
   - anyone know of non-techie local orientated blogs that are still related
   to using computers?  e.g. local photographer that talks about digital image
   processing?  maybe email them to invite them to our event (making sure
   someone has a semi-prepared presentation for them) and hopefully they will
   then talk about it on their blog?

I hadn't really thought through whether these things would bring too much
traffic for our group to handle.  Was just jotting down ideas over
time/review/standing..in the shower...thinking (sorry song reference and I'm
tired).

In relation to writing press-release and/or info on flyers (especially bi or
tri fold), avoid Weasel
Words<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Avoid_weasel_words>.
Talking to a friend (who's done marketing) about FOSS he mentioned I'd like
the Wikipedia page.  Even though its writing-style for Wikipendia, there are
good points lower down.  Also maybe mention migration from windows on the
flyer?

I asked a client that does event planning about some ideas for places to
hold such events.  He suggested, in general, that some churches or schools
rent out gymnasiums inexpensively; BSSC has indoor leagues that do so.  To
do more, i.e. have him hunt one up, we'd have to pay him.

The idea of stations for topics is awesome.  Good signs, big printed or
hand-made, would help things look professional/organized and make it more
welcoming to people.  Also, maybe some people could look at some small
business apps (GNucash or Kmoney, others?).  I wish I had time to rebuild
some Access apps I've done in ODB.  Are there any video editors that are
seasoned enough (Arista or Transmegadon)?

It might also be cool to have one computer or DVD/TV running some good
Ubuntu videos in loops.  Or even of apps that Ubuntu has deafult or in the
repositories.  If people find some I have a friend who owes me some
work-in-trade.  He does video (among other things) video presentations for
trade shows and what not  He might be willing to do one for us.

Last bit, I had this as a note (sorry I haven't had time to organize/post
them).  Its who SETC uses and I called for some info a whiles back.  Prices
may be out of date, but still might be helpful:
Next Entertainment Graphics <http://nexgraphix.com/>
778 Tremont St
Boston, MA 02118
(617) 572-3326
Promoter Pack $300 = 5000 flyers (2.75 x 4.25) + 50 posters (11 x 17)
Posters (11 x 17) > 100 = $1.50 per / > 250 = $1.00
Flyers (2.75 x 4.25) > 250 = $47.00, > 500 = $77.00

If cash is needed for the flyers, posters, event location and/or other stuff
(Felicia?), email me (or the list).  I will chip in, send a check to
whomever is handling stuff...

Take care all and see you come Sept/Oct,
Best,
Rio

p.s.  Nice car Mike!  When my Accord finally dies its either that or a
Prius....