[ubuntu-us-ma] New Event: Installfest / Exploration Ubuntu (Planning)

Cam Cope maccam94 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 20:28:51 BST 2009

Hi Ralph,  Thank you for all of this great input. Here's what I think, in
the order of your ideas:

   - I'm not familiar with mailing lists for towns, but maybe there are
   community news websites? I am going to reach out to any nearby LUGS/computer
   groups that I can find (if anyone finds any, let me know)
   - Public bulletin boards are a great idea. We would need to decide on a
   suitable size and then these advertisements would need the following: An eye
   catcher, a brief description of what Ubuntu is, a link to a webpage for the
   installfest, and the date/location of the installfest.
   - Computer shops would be great to advertise in. The problem is that they
   have to be experienced with Linux already, or else we'll be taking away from
   their business. If we can find shops that already advertise Linux, or if we
   ask around and find shops that are Linux friendly, we should ask to leave
   flyers there.
   - I think the size of this event will be hard to predict. I think our
   advertising is going to be much more effective than it has been in the past.
   Also, I would like to try to reach out to Linux users and groups in the area
   who might be interested in attending or collaborating. Once I get a location
   set, I'll contact everyone on the Ubuntu Massachusetts Team and find out who
   is able to help. I'd like for this event to be large, but we need to have
   enough team members there to handle it, and we need to make sure the size is
   appropriate for the location.
   - Gyms have actually come up when I've asked around for location ideas,
   but I don't think a gym would work because we need power outlets and
   ethernet ports. My current plan is to find a student who goes to college in
   Boston who'd be willing to sign up space for us. I'm going to contact the BU
   LUG and see if they can help or collaborate.
   - Once we confirm that the installfest is definitely happening, I'll have
   a brainstorm session on IRC to come up with Demo/station ideas, and then ask
   people to volunteer to work on ideas of their choice.
   - We might set up a computer running a slideshow of Ubuntu Screencasts,
   or record accessing various programs and doing simple tasks.
   - Those printing prices look pretty reasonable. After we lock down the
   location we can get advertising started, figure out what sizes we want, etc.
   I'm sure we can always use donations, this event probably won't be cheap
   (especially if we have to rent a room).

Again, thank you very much for all of those ideas. I'm sure we'll be
discussing some of them further tonight.

-Cam