[ubuntu-us-ma] skype alternative

Daniel Hollocher danielhollocher at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 21:59:56 GMT 2009

Hey Ralph,
I think its more up to the organizers of the group's meetings than it is up
to me.  I just saw a message on the IRC of the last meeting about looking
for alternatives to skype, and I coincidently happened to have just been
searching for an alternative to skype, along with Adobe Live Connect.

Its really up to the people who organize the meeting (leftyb?), and what
direction they want to take.

As for testing your webcam in linux, you may want to wait for the Jaunty
release before you spend too much time there.  It looks like there is come
uncompleted driver integration in Intrepid that may muck things up a bit.

Also, the webcam software sucks in Ubuntu.  I couldn't get cheese to work
till I discovered that running it in "verbose mode" makes it work!  That's
just voodoo weird.  And...  is there any other webcam capable software?  I
know of Ekiga, but it crashes on me.

Anyway, take care.

Dan