[ubuntu-us-ma] Potential Meeting Locations

Doc Kinne kinnerc at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 16:06:45 BST 2009

Folks:

Chris gives a lot of good thoughts here, and I have to admit I am in
his camp.

I'm one of those folks who love the idea and philosophy of Linux and
Free Software, but realize that in this current climate, from a
practical standpoint, there are times when the FOSS community just
isn't quite there yet.  In my personal example, I run a shop with
Linux servers and MacOS X workstations. It has been Apple's increasing
corporate behavior over the last five years that has driven me further
and further into the FOSS community, however, this is still being
written from a MacBook because one of the most frustrating computing
experiences of my entire life was getting wireless to work on a Laptop
running Linux. While the FOSS community - and Ubuntu in particular -
has made great gains in the last couple of years getting to "the last
mile" of "normal" desktop access, they're still trying. So, I realize
that while philosophy is great, and can and should be your guiding
light, practicality sometimes wins the game.

So, in the end, I think this is ultimately a dangerous idea for both
parties.  From our side, Bug #1 puts us in direct philosophical combat
with Microsoft, and from their part the Halloween Memo does the same
with regard to us. While meeting there could work, I think it could
just take a careless thought and action, not even meant badly, from
either side to make things potentially uncomfortable.

I personally love the BPL idea if we can make it work.
---
Richard "Doc" Kinne • Rikardo «Dokĉjo» KINNE, BA, MSc., AMAAS
<kinnerc @ gmail.com>
"I'm the Doctor, and you're in the biggest library in the universe.
Look me up!"
- The Doctor
"Forests of the Dead," Doctor Who