PiCon on August 22-24

Steve Pomeroy steve at staticfree.info
Sun Jul 13 06:32:34 BST 2008

Hello folks!

I've been talking with the fine folks over at http://pi-con.org/ - "a
weekend-long convention where fans and creators of science fiction
gather to interact. There will be three days of panels, games, readings,
debates, events, interviews, conversation, parties, and socializing.
Come join us for a weekend of fun!"

I figure that a number of these guests would be very receptive to a
friendly introduction to Ubuntu with a free disc to play with, if they
don't already use and love it at home :-)

I've been talking with the organizers and they sem incredibly receptive
toward the idea of us putting up a table and showing off our stuff.
We can put up some demo stations, with some Ubuntu MA volunteers to hand
out discs and show stuff off and maybe sell a few t-shirts. If you're
interested, great! If we get enough folks to volunteer, we can take
turns going to the convention itself and manning the booth. I'm going
to be a panelist there, so I won't be able to do the whole thing myself.

What we need:
1) you! Sign up for the con and look into either booking accommodations.
It's in Springfield, MA, so if you happen to live nearby, the easier.
If you do sign up and are interested, post to this list or contact me
immediately.

I haven't yet had the chance to discuss it with the folks in our group
who control the money, but perhaps there can be a use of the club's
funds to help out members who can't cover it themselves. Let's work with
this on a case-by-case basis.

2) Demo stations. Preferably laptops running Ubuntu. I can provide one
or two, but they won't be configured particularly well for openGL shiny
stuff.

3) CDs. I have the club's CDs and will be bringing them with me.

4) stickers. We'll be needing a bunch for this.

5) If there's more than a few folks interested, we should start a
timesheet and start taking hours.

--
Steve Pomeroy
http://staticfree.info/