Compiz on Dell Dimension 2400/GeForce 6200

jimi o'beirne jimobeirne at gmail.com
Tue Dec 30 15:59:52 GMT 2008

Hey guys-
Have a question. Installed latest Ubuntu onto my older Dell Dimension
2400. Upgraded the video card yesterday to a GeForce 6200 256MB (the
store didn't have any PCI 512MB's). Have tried the video drivers from
NVidia (version 177, "recommended"), and when I try going to
System/Preferences/Visual Affects and enabling any settings other than
None I get the message "Desktop effects could not be enabled". I have
also installed Envy and am running that now, but still no joy. I am
trying to get Compiz Fusion to work.

The good news is I have been able to get dual monitors working which is
nice....

Any ideas???

Thanks
Jim O'Beirne