Ubuntu Dual Boot on XPS 710 w/RAID 0 and 3rd SATA drive?

Martin Owens doctormo at gmail.com
Fri Dec 19 00:56:27 GMT 2008

On Thu, 2008-12-18 at 19:47 -0500, Jim O'Beirne wrote:
> Wow, looks like after a week of fighting with this, I have at least
> found the right mailing list! Thanks so much everyone already for your
> help.

For sure! :-)

> I have tried checking the BIOS to get to be able to show the 3rd drive
> up for booting but to no avail. It shows when I boot into the live cd
> and can install to it, and also when I boot into the RAID 0 with WinXp
> it shows fully and properly partitioned .. within Micro-Suck Disc
> Mangler (oops, Microsoft Disk Manager I mean, wink).

The BIOS might not be able to do anything. The problem is that your
trying to boot from a third disk when BIOS only supports 2 hard drives
as possible boot candidates. What you need to do is boot from the first
disk using grub which is looking at the 3rd disk for info.

> To be honest, I am finding this pretty perplexing. Heck, I would be
> willing to pay someone to help me get this done, I have "wasted" a ton
> of time on this already. But, I WOULD like to know what I am doing
> wrong and use this as a learning experience.

Let me know where about it is you are, and perhaps we can arrange
something. But be quick because Christmas is right here!

Regards, Martin