Ubuntu Dual Boot on XPS 710 w/RAID 0 and 3rd SATA drive?

Martin Owens doctormo at gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 21:31:09 GMT 2008

Hey Jim

> I have a Dell XPS 710 w/RAID 0 config which has my XP install on it,
> all working fine and dandy.
>
> Have installed a 3rd hard drive (500G Seagate) and trying to install
> Ubuntu 8.10 onto that as a dual boot.
>
> Have been able to run through setup/install numerous times, (like,
> 30??) but keep having problems once it is done, think I specifically
> need help with GRUB,,,?

> I’ve been fighting with this off and on for a week now L

If you bios supports loading off the 3rd hard drive... no what's needed
is to have grub installed on the boot sector of the first hard drive.
That grub will point to the 3rd hard drive for config and a list of
options which will then boot off any of the disks.

But it's not easy to set up, you need to know what your doing with that
kind of setup.

Let us know if you'd like some help with it.

Martin,