"Linux - Stop holding our kids back"

Algot Runeman algot.runeman at verizon.net
Thu Dec 11 14:22:50 GMT 2008

Not all educators are uninformed. Open source software is not a new
phenomenon, but broad technology use by schools isn't as prevalent as it
should be. Open source and GNU/Linux uptake will consequently be behind,
too.

Please, further, wonder why the blog's author jumped so hard on the NEA.
At no point in her quoted email, did the teacher express pressure from
above as her reason for her concern. She replied in ignorance, too
early, before she had done enough research to know the legal status of
GNU/Linux and open source software generally.

I wonder if the blog's author took time to actually speak directly with
the teacher, helping her to understand the background of open source and
his own efforts to spread it. Using the email as an object lesson for us
who read blogs is fine, but stopping there, not trying to correct the
false impressions is NOT the best way to go. Perhaps he should offer (if
he is local enough) to make a GNU/Linux/open source presentation for
interested staff at the school. Educate the educators so they can, in
turn, have the chance to spread their new understanding to their students.

On this email list, there has recently been some discussion of
developing materials and a process for getting open source information
to Boston-area schools. Count me in as glad to participate in that effort.
--Algot

--
Algot Runeman
algot.runeman at verizon.net