Ubuntu 8.04 - Hardy Heron

Brian DeLacey bdelacey at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 02:53:28 BST 2008

I installed the beta on three older machines - Compaq Presario, eMachines
desktops and Dell Inspiron 700m laptop

I also tried out the Wubi <http://wubi-installer.org/>installer for Windows
on a newer Dell Inspiron desktop - it was really neat the way it installs
like a standard Windows app without permanently altering the boot records.
It's a nice way to introduce Ubuntu to a larger audience and I could see
myself installing the released version alongside Windows. (It was very easy
to uninstall Wubi/Ubunto from the Windows machine.)

This release has updated a lot of the core components. It also looks more
elegant and polished in many noticeable areas. I like dialog to "Prepare
disk space." The options are *Guided - resize*, *Guided - use entire disk*,
or *manual*. On my laptop, I was able to easily resize the partitions, and
leave the prior installation in place. (At restart time, I would then get a
choice of which version to boot with.) On two desktops I just wiped out the
old and installed anew.

There have also been a lot of updates since the beta release.

On Sat, Mar 29, 2008 at 12:58 PM, Caleb Marcus <caleb.marcus at gmail.com>
wrote:

>  I am testing it in a virtual machine... most of the problems I'm running
> into are UI issues, which I've reported on Launchpad.
> On Thu, 2008-03-27 at 23:04 -0400, leftyfb wrote:

Brian