Spreading the wealth and fun

Martin Owens doctormo at gmail.com
Thu Dec 27 02:55:12 GMT 2007

> Bill's refurbed laptop reminded me of an article about a guy who was
> distributing old machines with Linux on them and it gave me an idea that
> I'd like to throw out here to the group.  What if as a group we did
> something similar?  We could collect old machines clean them up and
> install Ubuntu on them.  It would generate some publicity and spread the
> wealth.

When we talked about this idea a few months back, I was doubtful that
our team should be involved directly with such a project; My reasoning
is that our team does not have the resources, space and operational
free time to deal with such a large commitment.

Dealing with stock would require us to incorperate as some form of
organisation able to handle the equipment and donate it out.

We would have to buy, rent or find in good will lots of space to
handle and store equipment.

We would need volunteer people to work a lot of time sorting out the
machine in what ever form.

And I think it may distract us from our aims a little.

I was hoping that we could find existing projects in MA doing this
kind of thing and work with them that way.

Thoughts and feelings this time round?

Best Regards, Martin Owens