Proposition

Martin Owens doctormo at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 18:07:39 GMT 2007

>  I fail to see how asking people to post in a recognized format means we're
> being "mean to newcomers".  It helps them become better users and better
> netizens in general.

Asking people is one thing, your not skilled enough to guide new
people in the rules of the mailing list; So this isn't to say that we
won't let people know that there are ways to communicate better on the
mailing list. Just that you shouldn't be allowed to do this important
job.

> So, with all the help you offer to the world, posting etiquette isn't one of
> them?

Correct, posting etiquette is a politeness policy, not a moral one;
posting baddly doesn't make you a bad person.

> You obviously agree that top posting and non trimming isn't the way to do
> things, so why the opposition?

I oppose rudeness in all guises.

> But if helping people transition into  the community and how things are
> done, maybe starting with easily understood concepts like how to communicate
> would be a better thing to "immortalize"

Nope, our job isn't to attract members into this community. Why do you
think I was very strongly opposed to having ubuntu Massachusetts
t-shirts made? We instead have gone for Ubuntu t-shirts since that is
what we're really promoting, not this group.

Best Regards, Martin Owens