Ubuntu presentation for user group?

Brian DeLacey bdelacey at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 16:38:07 BST 2007

Hi Jack,

I'm the least esteemed member, so it's easy enough for me to reply first :)

It would be great for you go give it a go given your working knowledge!

As for canned presentations, hmmm, that's a good question. There are a
couple of good books - "Ubuntu Hacks" by Oxer, Rankin, and Childers and also
"Ubuntu for Non-Geeks 2nd Edition" by Grant that provide plenty of organized
material. It would be easy enough to make a presentation. (There is an
excellent introductory Ubuntu video by Shuttleworth speaking at Google about
the merits of Ubuntu. It would make great advance viewing for your meeting
attendees.)

Personally, I'd be interested in the meeting - it would be great to hear /
see what other people are thinking about this. From the sounds of the
audience, they would be pretty self-sufficient getting up and running with
Ubuntu with only a little bit of encouragement.

If others on this list would consider it, I'd be interested in car-pooling
down to Providence for the meeting.

- Brian

On 8/3/07, Jack Daniel <jackadaniel at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello folks-
>
> I may be in a position to introduce Ubuntu to a local tech user group
> and I was wondering...
>
> Are there such presentations "canned" and ready to deploy?  (If not,
> why not?, but that's a topic for another discussion).  If there are,
> where might I find them?
>
> I am far from a power user, but I am certain that I could do a decent
> intro to Ubuntu- but if one of the more esteemed members of this
> august body would be interested in handling a presentation in
> Providence, probably in October, I could propose that to the group.
> This is a group of mostly small business IT folks, many consultants,
> mostly Windows admins, a handful of old Novell guys, 15-25 members
> attend most meetings.
>
> Any feedback will be appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Jack Daniel