a simple request

Greg McCrory greg at coolbrew.com
Fri Apr 4 14:06:26 BST 2008

I didn't mean to blast entire paragraphs in the channel, I meant a link
or two every so often to where helpful information can be found. It
could be 30 minutes between blips.  I have myself sat in that channel
for several hours without so much as a '.' coming through.

I will admit, that I haven't been around much in the last few weeks, and
I noticed last night there were a lot of new people in there.  I also
noticed that the ATDT is showing links to new posts on jonobacon.org and
andrewprice.me.uk, probably RSS feeds.  This is kind of what I was
talking about.  Maybe 30 minutes is too often, maybe twice a day is
better.

All of this is in response to Wesley's rant about having to answer the
same questions over and over again.  As Dustin said, it's par for the
course.  There are several ways to deal with frequently asked questions:

1) Ignore the questions
2) Write a FAQ, and point people to it
3) Display notices of pertinent information at regular intervals
4) Configure a bot to automatically respond

Now that I consider the list above, #4 looks like the geekiest way to do
it and it could be more fun too. :-)

Finally regarding this list.  A true mailing list should be configured
to reply to the list.  If an email is sent to the list, the subject
matter is presumed to be pertinent to the list.  If someone wants to
reply to an individual they can do that, but it is a pain to have to do
won't get 2 copies.

...Just my 2 cents for the week. [stepping off soapbox]