[ubuntu-us-in] "Free" software CD

Jason Corfman computers at corfyscorner.com
Fri Aug 15 15:01:37 BST 2008

I guess my feeling is I don't understand how they could stop free
redistribution of a free program, especially when they use third-party
sites like download.com to distribute it to begin with. And I'm not
making money on it (not even to cover the cost of the CD), so I don't
see why they would care. It just saves them the bandwidth and spreads
their product. If I sold the CD, even for a buck or two, or if I gave a
free CD with the purchase of something else, I could understand them
being upset. But I'm just giving these away to anyone who will take one.

I picked Comodo Antivirus for several reasons. First, the license is
better. The free AVG can only be installed on one computer per network,
and even then only for home use. Comodo can be installed on as many
computers as you want to install it on, even in a business environment,
although it isn't open source. Second, the install file is 10 MB smaller
for Comodo than it is for AVG, although if that were the only
consideration, I would use Avast, which is 10 MB smaller than Comodo.
Third, AVG seemed to get rather persistent in upgrading people to a paid
version. I don't mind them trying to advertise their paid version, but
when they make it look like the free version is no longer available when
it is still available, I look for something else.

Most people I know don't bother with purchasing antivirus and are happy
with whatever came with their computer. The fact that they had a 90 day
antivirus trial on their computer that they bought four years ago
escapes them (a coworker asked me to clean a virus off his personal
computer with three-year-old expired antivirus... he didn't have a
virus, he had 93 different viruses). As an IT guy, I think people who
use Windows should use a current antivirus, and if I am going to give
them software, I want some of that software to be antivirus that runs
automatically (ClamWin only scans when you tell it to). And along those
lines, adware and spyware are just as bad to a system as viruses, so I
want to make sure that I give out some way of cleaning those as well. If
I could find open source alternatives, I would switch in a heartbeat.

And if I could move everyone to Ubuntu, I would. But most people I know
don't know enough about Linux or Ubuntu to switch. Heck, most of them
don't know anything about Windows except that is what they have always
used and that is what everyone else uses, so it must be good. And if
they know anything about Linux, it is probably from me, but when I start
talking about it, their eyes glaze over or they just dismiss what I'm
saying as the ravings of a fanatic (like me being a Cincinnati Bengals
fan despite living 25 miles from the Colts stadium).

Jason