[ubuntu-us-in] "Free" software CD

Simón Ruiz simon.a.ruiz at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 22:21:10 BST 2008

On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 2:43 PM, Jason Corfman
<computers at corfyscorner.com> wrote:
> I should point out that I started this CD before learning about "The
> OpenCD" (or "The OpenDisc", as it is called now). Although I want to use
> as many open source programs as I can, I am just giving these CDs out as
> presents. Since I'm not selling them, I feel I can safely add some "free
> as in beer" software. (If it is free for me to download and install, and
> free for you to download and install, then it must be free for me to
> download and give to you to install, right?)

Erm, not necessarily. One of the things that makes free software free
is the right to help your neighbor by re-distributing. Proprietarily
licensed stuff may or may not allow this, depending on each individual
program's license.

Unless you read each license and see that they specifically allow
re-distribution, I would assume they don't.

You're not *likely* to face legal action for re-distributing something
that can be freely obtained by anyone...

Now that you mention it, this sort of ambiguity is another point in
favor of free licensing.

Simón

P.S. FWIW, I put AVG Free edition (an anti-virus) on my
mother-in-law's home computer that runs XP. I don't know how it stacks
up against Comodo.

P.P.S. Very, very soon, she will have a shiny new Ubuntu machine,
cause both my wife and I are tired of supporting XP. ;-)