[ubuntu-us-in] Notes from 2007-11-12 Indiana LoCo team meeting

Simón Ruiz simon.a.ruiz at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 01:28:19 GMT 2007

On Dec 3, 2007 12:04 AM, Michael Schultheiss <schultmc at cinlug.org> wrote:
> The Indiana LoCo team [1] held its eightth monthly meeting in
> #ubuntu-indiana on irc.freenode.net on 2007-11-12 at 8:00 PM EDT.  6
> team members participated in the meeting.
>
> We gave a recap of our Gutsy Gibbon release party.  We held a team
> dinner at the Claddagh Irish Pub [2] at 3835 East 96th Street in
> Indianapolis starting at 7:00 PM on Saturday, October 20, 2007.  We had
> a turnout of about 12 team members who came from around the state.  It
> was nice to put faces to names we only knew virtually before.

Yeah, I had a blast. I look forward to the Hardy Release Party!

> We discussed becoming an Approved LoCo team.  Deciding on a roadmap and
> putting together an application page [3] on the wiki is all we have left
> to do.  Ana Greavu volunteered to write up a mission statement/roadmap
> for us based on the discussion from the last meeting.  She needs
> information about our past events to complete this task.

Off the top of my head:

I advocated for Ubuntu on behalf of Canonical at the CINLUG meeting
where Mike Huffman spoke. This was before any "official" LoCo emerged,
so I guess it might not count, but I'd say it pretty directly led to
my working to help organize a LoCo with Michael.

We had a booth at the IU LinuxFest this year, where we represented
Ubuntu to quite a diverse crowd, from people with absolutely no idea
what Linux was to veterans. It might be worth mentioning that I gave a
presentation, "Learning with Linux at every Desk", about the work I
did with Ubuntu at Bloomington High School North.

We had a booth at ITEC, Scott Blaydes can provide details about that one.

A good chunk of us met up at the Ohio LinuxFest, which really rocked.
Several of us volunteered to work the event and helped pull it off,
embodying the Ubuntu spirit (if I do say so myself) before the wider
Linux community. We also began serious discussion about becoming an
Approved LoCo Team (hopefully) by the end of the year.

And the last event I can think of is our meeting at Claddagh, where we
shared fellowship and celebrated the release of Gutsy with each other.
Good times.

I wouldn't be surprised if I missed something, please pipe up if you
notice what. It's been a very busy year for me!

Simón