Changing ownership on floppy

David Tomaschik david at webgroup.org
Thu Oct 2 21:06:57 BST 2008

Sudo does give you root privileges.  Most likely, in this case, even
root can't change the ownership on the files on the floppy drive.  And
here's why:  they're probably formatted as FAT-12 or some other FAT
variant.  FAT does not support POSIX ownership of files, so for POSIX
purposes, it inherits a default owner for the entire filesystem.  By
default, that owner is root.  If you have an entry in fstab for your
floppy drive with the 'users' option, any user should be able to mount
it.  If you don't, mount it as root but pass '-o user=YOURUSERNAME' as
an option to mount.  This causes the drive to be mounted as the user you
specify.

I know some things in Linux seem different -- frustrating, even.  But
they're generally done in a way for a reason (even if it's a historical
reason) and in many cases, the reason is good.  :)

--David