Move /home to another HD?

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Fri Mar 14 18:23:29 GMT 2008

On Fri, 2008-03-14 at 12:01 -0500, Eric Weir wrote:
> could I move just my /home folder to the second HD and use the first
> HD just for the operating system and applications, e.g., so that data
> files are routinely opened from and saved to the second HD, without my
> having to constantly be navigating to and from it?

Certainly.  You can put the new drive in, format it, and transfer
the /home directory to it in single-user mode.  That would be the
easiest way to do it.  Unless you have a very special situation, using:

  tar cf - -C /home . | tar xf - -C /new-home

(Assuming that the new home directory is mounted on /new-home, that is)
Should move the entire directory structure to a new drive.  Then you can
remove the contents of the old home directory and mount the new one
on /home, and you're in business.

	--- Mike

Michael B. Trausch                                   mike at trausch.us
home: 404-592-5746, 1                                 www.trausch.us