Kubuntu?

Paul Boren pmboren at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 02:53:21 GMT 2007

Eric,

I have been using Kubuntu on my home desktop for over a year and just
installed the latest version over the weekend.  If you are just using
Konqueror as a web browser, Kontact (or Kmail) for email, etc. it's
pretty easy just to have KDE start-up with those applications just as
they were by logging-out and logging back in.  I think this is the
default behavior, but if you need to configure it there's System
Settings -> KDE Components -> Session Manager.  Also Konqueror comes
with default profile for web browsing so if you are using it you can
save your preferences and to that profile.  That way you can keep
everything the way you want it.

You can find help in the KMenu, but it's also just a few keystrokes
away in Konqueror when you type "help:kicker" in the Location Toolbar
[where the URL appears].  The KDE panel, Kicker, is an application
that can be dragged about like a window [and used like a dock].
Right-clicking the mouse pointer on it is the simplest way make it
your own.  I haven't really played around with the length of the panel
itself.  My son added icons for a lot of the Debian-Jr games to it
once and had me scrolling back and forth trying to figure out what had
happened.  Also be careful if you play around with other pagers since
having to stop (kill = Control - Alt - Esc) those programs might also
take out the main Kicker panel.

Hope you enjoy using KDE and Kubuntu.

-- Paul Boren