[ubuntu-florida] who's using Edubuntu?

Andrew Watts systemstalker at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 19:36:32 BST 2007

You need to sell it to them that this is the future for their students,
including the parents.  Honestly though i would talk to the school and the
parents about the XO laptop.  If they can afford to send there kid to a
private school they should be able to cope with the XO laptop.  It's $180.
the kids will be able to bring the system home with them and be able to
everything that they can do otherwise.  It may not be Ubuntu but remember,
the system was designed for kids, what ever is best for the kids is the most
important part.  They will have the ability to communicate and if you were
to have a server in every class all the lessons could be put on the XO.  I
bet if the school were to work with One Laptop Per Child that they would be
all for working out something where each child spent 200 per laptop and the
extra $20 went to OLPC.  Again, this IS a private school, don't let those
parents tell you they cant afford it.  Those kids wont be able to break
anything and will have a laptop that they can take home and work on.  If you
are planning to buy new hardware anyway this would be the best solution.
Thin clients cost money and the last time i checked the XO OLPC was alot
better than a thin client PC, its small, portable, about the same price as a
thin client and best of all the student can OWN it and use it at home too.
The biggest bonus is that if the kid breaks the OS he/she or a parent can
easily fix it at home without any CD or other extraneous software,
everything that is needed is already there.  its an all in one solution to
the problem and costs the school nothing, everyone wins.  The kids won't
care what it's doing nor will the school.  The beautiful thing is that these
laptops are self networking, you won't need to add any major network
infrastructure it should just work out of box, so easy a child in the 3rd
world can do it.  this is a lot cheaper than any PC on the market and its
virtually zero configuration, with thin clients and the like it there is a
problem it can take days or weeks to fix, money always needs to be spent
setting things up.  Thin clients are difficult to setup (for the average
user, try telling a teacher to set one up, HA) and if you leave the program
goes belly up.  With the XO all you need to have is a few wireless access
points and the mesh network in the XO does the rest.  if one child in the
room has internet/network access, all of them do.  The teacher can also run
all the notebooks at the same time, say during a lecture the teacher takes
control and provides an up close and personal interactive lesson right
there.  The perfect solution to a very difficult problem.  Not only is it
cost efficient, its also time efficient for both the school and the
students.  The only problem with it is, how ever, getting OLPC to sell the
laptops to the school.  Personally i think that every child in the world
should have this laptop issued to them every year in school, there just
isn't much you can do to break them. and as they progress through grade
school give them more advanced laptops.  The XO is water resistant, drop
resistant and most importantly kid tested to work every time with a great
battery life (8+ hours) so it will last most, if not all of the day.  Any
open source software you want to use should work on it too.  Let me know
what you think.

Andrew