[DC LoCo] Fwd: ubuntu-districtofcolumbia will expire soon from locoteams

Kevin Cole dc.loco at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 19:50:13 UTC 2012

On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 12:00, Andrew Conklin <techgroups at dcacm.org> wrote:
> Hey Kevin,
>
> I was poking around some of the other team sites and I noticed there seems
> to be a redundancy in online resources with DC LoCo, in addition to being
> stale (as you noted in your last email).

True dat.

> In my time as a causal observer
> and interested helper from the DC Chapter of ACM mission standpoint, I've
> found it challenging to know what activities are happening at a given moment
> with DC LoCo.

Organized happenings? Um... not a lot from where I sit.  Individuals
doing important stuff? I'd hazard "Lots" though I'd be hard-pressed to
make a specific list.

> I think that's where the websites and the feeds come into play.  They are
> handy to new faces and casual followers who can turn into potential
> participants.

And it may help prompt organized happenings.

> If you would find it helpful, we (any interested DC LoCo members) could have
> a conversation about how to reduce all of those online resources to the
> minimum, and bring activity to the forefront.  I would also be interested in
> helping to make those changes.
>
> The best time for me would April 23rd, 7pm at Radio Free Asia.  We usually
> hold a short DC ACM board meeting at that time.  The group then goes to the
> Black Rooster after, while another group that we provide support for, DC
> Nightowls, begin their event.

If others can step up, I'd really appreciate it.

This sounds excellent to me, but I'm scheduled for a Broadband Bridge
tech gathering Monday night -- interestingly enough to talk about Free
Radio while you're at Radio Free.  (Actually it's to talk about
getting honkin' big wifi antennas into communities, and we're
watering-down a book that is supposed to be a how-to guide. This
week's chapter is "A Practical Guide to Radio Physics".)

If no one steps up, I'll bail on Broadband Bridge and do RFA instead,
but they do have the "standing reservation".