[DC LoCo] [Fwd: [Df-teams] DFD2010 Press release: Help spreading the word!]

Ted Smith teddks at gmail.com
Tue Mar 2 20:53:05 GMT 2010

-------- Forwarded Message --------
From: Fernanda G Weiden <nanda at fsfeurope.org>
To: df-teams at documentfreedom.org
Subject: [Df-teams] DFD2010 Press release: Help spreading the word!
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2010 14:18:59 +0100

Free your documents, save your information!
http://fsfe.org/news/2010/news-20100302-01.en.html

Will you be able to read your documents 20 years from now? Every day,
millions of computer users like you edit text and spreadsheets, take
pictures and record audio and video. What if you couldn't read your
private letters anymore, or even open that album with pictures from
your honeymoon? What if you couldn't exchange those files with
friends, because the software used by each one of you can't talk to
each other? To help you make your documents future-proof, we celebrate
Document Freedom Day on March 31.

There is a simple solution: Open Standards and Open Document Formats
based on them. Any person or software can save documents in those
formats, and be sure that people will be able to read those files,
independently of the software they use. Anyone can build applications
that read and write files in these formats. The Internet was built
upon Open Standards, and that's why you see so much innovation online.

On Document Freedom Day, we will raise awareness for Open Document
Formats and Open Standards by organizing activities all over the world
together with partner organizations and volunteers.

During the whole month of March, we will spread the word on open
document formats and Open Standards. We will publish information, talk
to the press, tell our friends about it, and spread the DFD logo all
over the Internet.

There are many ways to take part on this campaign, so pick one and join us:

    *     Put a banner in your website, linking to DFD website. You
can find banners in our Artwork Website.
    *     Publish a blog post on Document Freedom Day, or Open
Standards, and spread the word about the campaign. Send us a link, and
we'll include it in the DFD website.
    *     Use your microblog to spread DFD news and articles! Tag them
using !dfd or #dfd2010
    *     Organize an activity in your city on March 31st. For ideas
on activities, check the Document Freedom Day website.
    *     Donate money to DFD. Your contribution makes Document
Freedom Day possible!
    *     Become a partner organization. Contact our Campaign Team on
how to do that.

Want to find out more about Open Standards?

Document Freedom Day is about helping you to really own your data. You
shouldn't be tied to particular applications for living your life in
the digital world, and you shouldn't have to use any specific software
to deal with your government, your school or anyone else.

For more information on Document Freedom Day, visit our website:
www.documentfreedom.org

Contact:

Fernanda Weiden
DFD Campaign Coordinator