[DC LoCo] How Open are you?

Ted Smith teddks at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 18:49:26 GMT 2009

On Tue, 2009-03-17 at 07:54 -0700, Sanjay Jain wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> A quick poll - Are people in this list interested in other open issues too?
>
> Like Open society and open data?
>
> Thanks
> Sanjay

I try to stay away from the term "Open", since it's pretty vague and not
very meaningful. As Kevin demonstrated, the natural meaning of "open" as
in "open book" is not necessarily optimal.

So no, I'm not very interested in "open" society, "open" data, or most
other "open" things. I am interested in a free society, free mobility of
data, and certainly free data formats. I am interested in open
government, since that's a realistic meaning of the term -- government
is "open" like an open book, disclosing more of its processes to public
review. However, it's important to note that if we want a free society,
having an open but oppressive government will not really help.