[DC LoCo] How Open are you?

Kevin Cole kjcole at ubuntu.com
Tue Mar 17 15:46:11 GMT 2009

Sanjay Jain wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> A quick poll - Are people in this list interested in other open issues too?
>
> Like Open society and open data?

Methinks the words a bit vague.  In principal, I would imagine everyone
interested in "open-ness" in general, yet also interested in personal
privacy.

So I want everyone *ELSE* to be open and me to be closed. ;-)  Then again,
I keep hearing about "open relationships"... ;-)

Seriously?

Open government: Good.  The credibility of "We are more wise, more
informed, and more moral than you, and therefore entitled to keep secrets"
is becoming increasingly difficult to sustain.  Certainly, there should be
some sort of checks and balances, but at the moment, it seems far to easy
to label everything a state secret.

Open data: Data formats that are well understood and well documented?
Absolutely! Did you have something more in mind?

Open society: Too broad a term.