[DC LoCo] some info from my terminal in ubuntu

Kevin Cole kjcole at ubuntu.com
Thu Nov 13 19:42:02 GMT 2008

Just an FYI with regards to symlinks: "apt-get install symlinks" as it's a
handy little tool to have, and as I recall, it didn't come "native" in
Ubuntu, but was an easy get.

And ditto Flint's suggestions: /tmp, as implied, holds stuff that in theory
is temporary and therefore no loss to lose. ;-)  /var/log holds lots and
lots of archival history of what all your various service applications have
been up to while you weren't (or were) watching.  Useful as a diagnostic
tool, but the older logs can usually be abandoned if you're not having
troubles that need diagnosis / forensics.

Another suggestion:

sudo apt-get clean

As you upgrade your system, your package manager of choice, and friends
(dpkg, dselect, apt-get, synaptic, adept, aptitude, etc, etc.) downloads a
Debian package -- essentially a zip file with delusions of grandeur -- and
then unpacks it and installs the various files. "sudo apt-get clean" tells
the system to delete any of these Debian package files lying about.  And
they can be mighty big.

There are other places that squirrel away big files, but generally not
unless you've actively turned on some service -- e.g. your system is a
database server, caching web server or mail server.  Unlikely in your case,
I'll hazard.