[DC LoCo] some info from my terminal in ubuntu

flint at flint.com flint at flint.com
Thu Nov 13 19:13:54 GMT 2008

Dear Phil,

What has happened on your computer is that the root filesystem (/) is out
of space.

1. Go in to /tmp as root and type "rm -rf *" be CAREFUL as this is a very
destructive command.  This will give you some breathing room

2. Kill all the zip files in /var/log

3. Look up how to symlink directories (man ln)

4. use gparted to make root bigger

5. Give up GUIs and only use the command line

6. Program with toggle switches

7. Limit your tools to stone knives and bear-skins

8. Move to Vermont and freeze to death...

These casual suggestions are just my attempt to be helpful.  Your mileage
may vary.  Bitterness and/or sarcasm in any of these steps, particularly
the later, is entirely intentional.

Regards,

Flint

On Thu, 13 Nov 2008, Phil Shapiro wrote:

> Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 13:30:37 -0500
> From: Phil Shapiro <pshapiro at his.com>
> To: Ubuntu Linux DC LoCo Team <ubuntu-us-dc at lists.ubuntu.com>
> Subject: [DC LoCo] some info from my terminal in ubuntu
>
> regarding the zero bytes issue i'm working on, here's some info from terminal
> about my system.
>

> library at localhost:~$ df -h
> /dev/sda1             9.2G  8.8G     0 100% /
> varrun                501M  252K  501M   1% /var/run
> varlock               501M     0  501M   0% /var/lock
> udev                  501M   60K  501M   1% /dev
> devshm                501M   12K  501M   1% /dev/shm
> lrm                   501M   39M  462M   8% /lib/modules/2.6.24-21-generic/volatile
> /dev/sda6              62G  3.5G   55G   6% /home
> overflow              1.0M   60K  964K   6% /tmp
>
> (thanks, flint.)
>

> --
> Phil Shapiro  pshapiro at his.com
> http://www.his.com/pshapiro/briefbio.html
> http://philsrssfeed.blogspot.com
> http://www.his.com/pshapiro/stories.menu.html
>
> "Wisdom starts with wonder." - Socrates
> "Learning happens through gentleness."

Kindest Regards,

Paul Flint
(802) 479-2360

/************************************
Based upon email reliability concerns,
please send an acknowledgment in response to this note.

Paul Flint
Barre Open Systems Institute
17 Averill Street
Barre, VT