[DC LoCo] Ubuntu lab & Peoples MEDA Ctr AlFShawy cafe

WBIX media training wbixclass at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 14 21:34:16 GMT 2008

[Fwd: Re: DC computer refurbishing and open sourcesoftware...]

Riley is right, and the kids at the cafe this summer were mostly 14-15, with a couple of 10 and a few 13 year old..

This weekend, we actually need the help of a couple of people to reset the Ubuntu lab as we are reconfiguring the place. it is a 10 computer lab, then we can start the classes again and start the Spanish classes.

Any takers?  call me whenever you wanna come down.
Ryme 202538-1331

Craig Wiggins <craigwiggins at gmail.com> wrote: That's cool -- I need to make it down to Al Fishawy one of these days.
 How old were these kids?  Did they come in with a specific need (problem to be solved through interaction with software), or was this serendipity? Digital image, video and/or audio editing? UWas this a computer camp-type setting, or kids coming in as they wished?

 My question mark key is faded.

 On 2/14/08, Riley hamilton <riley.hamilton at gmail.com> wrote: I have direct not very scientifical proof that kids do not care
whether their PC has Microsoft or Ubuntu.  At cafe alfishawy this
 summer we had kids with very limited exposure to PC's ( except games
and myspace) setting up and tearing down both microsoft and ubuntu
machines.  One of the teachers even taught digital editing etc.on the
ubuntu machines.  Needless to say the kids did not have much of
 problem making the jump.  They actually cared less than the teachers.

On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 12:37 PM, Kevin Cole <kjcole at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Kevin Cole wrote:
 >  > My "snotty" side was tempted to write back to Mr. Dodge with a comment
>  > like "The fact/theory/rumor that DC kids are either less educated or
>  > less intelligent than students in developing countries isn't a
 >  > software problem." But I resisted. ;-)
>
>  P.S. Lest it wasn't clear, I also think that it's largely "attitude" both
>       on the part of the students, AND the teachers / parents / sources of
 >       computers that somehow because of socio-economic circumstance that
>       kids are somehow incapable of jumping the digital divide with FOSS.
>       Hence the reference to "theory/rumor" above and I should have added
 >       "myth". ;-)  Sometimes those sorts of emphases get lost in e-mail.

Craig Wiggins
 703-474-5366 (cell)
craigescritorio (msn, aim and skype)  --

Ryme Katkhouda
msg 202-452-5936  wbixclass at yahoo.com or voiceswithvision at gmail.com

founding director of the Peoples MEDIA Center, Washington DC, Make $$s by supporting us! Join http://www.mypowermall.com/Biz/Home/96184

co-founder of the dcradiocoop.org and wbix.org
Executive Producer of "Voices With Vision", Th 11am on WPFW.org 89.3FM in DC
Senior Producer, news editor and trainer at Pacifica Radio Network
Radio Training director at WPFW 89.3FM for 2 1/2 years
National Correspondent with Free Speech Radio News FSRN.org
****